- View the MA General Course Requirements.
- Check out the latest course offerings for an idea of the kinds of classes you'll get to take.
- Read about the MA Thesis and the MA Comprehensive Exam options.
- Learn more about individually directed study.
- See the recommended timeline for MA students
Requirements & Courses
In addition to the MA in English General Course Requirements in literature, as creative writers you take a minimum of 6 credit hours in 400- and 500- level creative writing workshops in
- Creative Non-Fiction
An additional requirement is that you have a formal reading of your creative work before our community, and work towards publication. There is a lot of support from the friendly group of writers here at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette from the popular Thursday Night Reading Series (TNRS), to the strong professional development support you get through coursework and workshops.
You will complete a creative thesis which consists of a substantial body of creative work and a theoretical introduction to that work. The introduction is a scholarly work which engages issues, ideas, and/or craft elements found within the rest of the dissertation. While you are welcome to stick to a single genre for the creative part of the dissertation, multi-genre work is welcome.