Resources and Links
- Apply to write with us at University of Louisiana at Lafayette!
- Have questions about our program? Contact Sadie Hoagland or Charles Richard.
- View the Creative Writing Plan of Study.
- Visit the undergraduate catalog.
- See what careers you can land with an English major.
- Our department does amazing things. Check out recent news!
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- View Requirements and Courses.
Creative Writing at UL
Whether you want to try traditional forms, avant garde language experiments, or compose your own fantasy novel adventure, the creative writing concentration will provide you with the skills and mentoring to make your inspirations come to life on the page.
The concentration in creative writing allows you to develop your creative voice and work. In classes, you will learn how producing literary writing relates to literary scholarship.
As a student, you can explore a range of the following forms:
- Creative nonfiction
A concentration in creative writing exposes you to a range of writing styles, while you explore both expressive and innovative uses of language. In our warm community of writers, artists, and faculty members, you will take the groundwork of the English major and create your own new work.
Joining a community of writers is an important part of our program and one way to get involved is through our creative writing club, Ragin Writers, which offers workshops, readings, social gatherings, and more. Undergraduates are also encouraged to submit their work to the Southwestern Review, the University’s in-house literary journal.
In addition to our great faculty, and writers-in-residence, our creative writing program is enhanced by the Deep South Festival of Writers.