- View the Creative Writing Course Distribution Sheet for 2018-19.
- View previous Course Distribution Sheets.
- Check out the latest course offerings for an idea of the kinds of classes you'll get to take.
- View the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Take a look at a 4-year plan for this concentration.
In addition to the English Major requirements, students pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing must take the following four courses:
ENGL 223 Introduction to Creative Writing
ENGL 325, ENGL 326, ENGL 327, or ENGL 328 Creative Writing Workshop (in one of four genres)
ENGL 409 Special Topics in Creative Writing
ENGL 410 Advanced Creative Writing Workshop (in one of four genres)
Regardless of which concentration you declare, the program requires 120 hours of coursework with 36 hours in English (exclusive of first-year writing courses).
Note that as an English major, you do not have to specify a concentration if you want more flexibility in your curriculum.
Two courses are required of all English majors, regardless of concentration: ENGL 290 (Introduction to Literary Studies) and ENGL 490 (Senior Seminar).
In addition, all majors in the College of Liberal Arts must declare a minor field, in which 18 hours are required, six of them at the 300- or 400-level. Visit the online catalog for a list of minors.