The Writing Center is still available even while campus is closed for the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Writing Center has tutors who work specifically with graduate students on their theses, and dissertations. They try to find mutually convenient times to meet with this population, recognizing that often these students are working professionals. They also offer a measure of continuity for longer projects.
As a first step, contact the Writing Center at email@example.com to make an initial appointment with one of our specialist tutors. Be sure to mention you are a graduate student working on your thesis or dissertation.
If you are working on a thesis or dissertation, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, put Graduate Student Thesis (or Graduate Student Dissertation), whichever is applicable.
If you are a graduate student working on a paper / essay or other writing project for a course, simply put the term Request for Tutoring in the subject line
NOTE: It is important for graduate students and their advisors to understand that we do not provide an editing / proofreading service. We are tutors, not editors.
To explain the difference clearly, we have prepared the document below.
What the Writing Center Will Do for Graduate Student Thesis and Dissertation Writers
- work with students to help them craft clearer sentences
- offer students suggestions with regard to the organization of their documents
- offer students comments and provide them with instruction, models, and resources for proper grammar and mechanics
- help students to observe the style guidelines of their chosen or required citation style (e.g., MLA, APA, IEEE)
- work with students to help them paraphrase, cite, and avoid plagiarism
- help students to find the answers to their questions about the style guidelines of their chosen or required citation style and/or the guidelines outlined by the Graduate School.
We will not
- rewrite sentences or sections for students
- proofread or edit student documents line by line
- fix or format student documents so that they conform to the style guidelines of their chosen or required citation style or to the guidelines outlined by the Graduate School.
Faculty and Advisors
If you are a faculty member who would like to have one of our staff make a presentation about our services to your class, please contact the Director of the Writing Center, Ms. Denise Rogers at email@example.com